US-23 Heritage Route - Mobile

40 Mile Point Lighthouse Park

Historic Lighthouse and Keepers Quarters - Site of the wreck of the Joseph Fay, one of the only shipwrecks on the Great Lakes accessible on land.
Add This To Your Itinerary

In 1889, the Lighthouse Board recommended that $25,000 be appropriated for construction of a new light and fog signal near Hammond Bay on Lake Huron. Congress finally authorized the project in 1893, but failed to provide the necessary appropriation. The Lighthouse Board requested funding in its 1894 annual report and Congress authorized the funds as part of the Sundry Civil Appropriations Act. Major Milton B. Adams, Eleventh District Engineer selected and surveyed a site approximately 40 miles southeast of Old Mackinaw Point and 40 miles northwest of Thunder Bay. The property, over 22 acres in all, was purchased for $200.00. Plans and specifications for the station were approved in February 1896 and contracts for the ironwork for the large fog whistles were awarded soon afterwards. When the materials arrived at the Detroit depot, they were loaded aboard the lightship, Amaranth, and arrived at 40 Mile Point on July 5, 1896. Work began immediately to construct a wood-framed building that would house the work crew during construction of the lighthouse and later serve as a barn for the keeper's horses. This structure still stands today and has been restored for use as a gift shop.

 

Get DirectionsTelephone CallVisit the Website
Address:
6.5 Miles North of Downtown Rogers City on US-23 North
Rogers City, MI 49779
GPS Coordinates:
45.48548, -83.91446
Find Nearby Attractions
Show or Hide AmenitiesAmenities

Available in Spring Available in Spring

Available in Summer Available in Summer

Available in Fall Available in Fall

Public Restrooms Public Restrooms

Show or Hide ActivitiesActivities

Nearby Attractions  Nearby Accomodations  Nearby Eateries  Michigan Sunrise Coast On Facebook

Go To Full Website

How to Use This Website

© 2015 NEMCOG